As an airbrush artist, I know firsthand the importance of using a high-quality primer. Not only does it help to create a smooth, even base for your artwork, but it also helps to ensure that your paint adheres well and lasts for a long time. That’s why I’ve spent a lot of time researching and testing various airbrush primers on the market.
In this article, I’ll share my top picks for the best airbrush primers and give you some helpful tips on how to choose the right one for your project.
Top 9 Best Airbrush Primer Reviews
1. Badger Air-Brush Co. SNR-410 Stynylrez – Best Overall Surface Primer for Miniatures
1) Badger Air-Brush Co. SNR-410 Stynylrez, 3 Piece Assortment, White, Gray, Black, 12 Ounce is a high quality product.
2) It is easy to use.
3) The results are consistent.
4) It is affordable.
5) The customer service is excellent.
A Badger Air-Brush Co. SNR-410 Stynylrez, 3 Piece Assortment, White, Gray, Black, 12 Ounce is a great tool to have in your collection. This versatile airbrush can be used for a number of applications, including automotive, illustration, and modeling. Additionally, the Badger Air-Brush Co. SNR-410 Stynylrez, 3 Piece Assortment, White, Gray, Black, 12 Ounce is easy to use and can be quickly cleaned.
The three-piece set of Badger Air-Brush Co. Stynylrez painting resins includes white, gray, and black varieties, each in a 12-ounce bottle. These resins are perfect for creating a variety of finishes on your models, from smooth and shiny to realistic and textured. The fast-drying resins are easy to use and can be applied with an airbrush or paint brush.
2. Games Workshop Citadel Spray Paint Chaos – Best Spray Can Primer for Miniatures
1. Games Workshop Citadel Spray Paint Chaos Black is a high quality paint.
2. It is versatile and can be used on a variety of surfaces.
3. The paint is easy to use and goes on smoothly.
4. It is affordable and provides good value for the price.
5. Citadel Spray Paint Chaos Black produces a durable finish that lasts.
Chaos Black is Games Workshop’s signature black Citadel Spray Paint. It is perfect for painting all kinds of miniatures, from Warhammer to tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons. Citadel Spray Paint provides a good coverage and a consistent finish.
I sprayed my Chaos Black onto some plasticard, and it went on really smoothly. There was very little spattering, and the finish was nice and even. The paint dried quickly, within about 5 minutes, and had a nice, glossy sheen.
3. Rust-Oleum Professional Primer – Best Budget Spray Can Primer for Miniatures
1. The paint is easy to apply.
2. The primer is effective in hiding the original color of the object.
3. The paint dries quickly.
4. The paint is long lasting.
5. The paint does not chip or peel off easily.
Rust-Oleum 7582838 Professional Primer Spray Paint is a high-quality gray primer that provides superior coverage and adhesion. It dries to a smooth, even finish, and is perfect for use on metal, plastic, and many other surfaces. This primer is also fast drying, so you can get your project done quickly.
I used this primer to paint over some galvanized metal. The primer went on smoothly and covered well. I would definitely recommend this primer to anyone looking for a good quality primer to use on metal.
4. Liquitex Professional Gesso Surface Prep Medium Gray
1. Extremely versatile
2. Good adhesion
3. Good coverage
5. Easy to use
Gesso Surface Prep Medium is the first step in preparing a painting surface. It provides a smooth, non-absorbent surface that helps adhesion of paint and prevents the formation of paint film bubbles. Gesso Surface PrepMedium can be used on canvas, paper, wood, and other porous surfaces.
We used Liquitex Professional Gesso Surface Prep Medium to prime an entire wall in preparation for painting. The surface prep medium did an excellent job of priming the surface and providing a solid base for the paint. The paint went on smoothly and covered the surface well. We were very pleased with the results.
5. Krylon ColorMaster Paint + Primer Ultra Flat
- Krylon K05131507 ColorMaster Paint + Primer, Ultra Flat Primer, White, 12 oz. is a high-quality product.
- The paint goes on smoothly and covers well.
- The primer is effective in preventing the paint from peeling.
- The paint and primer together provide excellent coverage.
- The paint dries quickly and does not require a lot of additional coats to achieve full coverage.
Looking for a quality white primer? Krylon K05131507 ColorMaster Paint + Primer, Ultra Flat Primer, White, 12 oz. might be a perfect option for you. This product has a ultra flat finish, which can help you achieve a smooth, even surface on your project. The Krylon K05131507 ColorMaster Paint + Primer, Ultra Flat Primer, White, 12 oz. can also be used on a variety of surfaces, including metal, plastic, and wood.
6. The Army Painter Color Primer Spray Paint Uniform Grey 400ml 13.5oz – Acrylic Spray Undercoat for Miniature Painting
1. It is a quick and easy way to prime miniatures for painting.
2. The paint applies evenly and does not require a lot of shaking to mix.
3. The primer dries quickly and does not leave any noticeable residue.
4. The paint is not too thick or too thin, making it easy to apply.
5. The primer provides a good base for the paint to adhere to, resulting in a finished product that looks great.
The Army Painter Spray Primer is an acrylic spray undercoat that provides a uniform surface for miniature painting. The color primer spray paint is designed for use with plastic miniatures and is available in a 400ml can.
The Army Painter Color Primer is an acrylic spray primer designed for use with plastic miniature models. The primer forms a durable, even coating that helps to achieve a consistent paint finish. The uniform grey color helps to provide a base for painting miniatures in a variety of different colors. The primer comes in a 400ml can and covers an area of approximately 10 square feet.
8. Vallejo Grey Primer Acrylic Polyurethane
1) Vallejo Grey Primer Acrylic Polyurethane is a very effective primer.
2) It dries quickly, making it easy to work with.
3) It provides good coverage and results in a smooth surface.
4) It is affordable and can be used for a variety of applications.
5) It is durable and long lasting.
We are excited to introduce our Vallejo Grey Primer Acrylic Polyurethane, 200ml.
This primer is a high quality, all-purpose primer that is perfect for use with both metal and plastic surfaces. It dries quickly and provides a smooth, even surface that is perfect for painting.
This primer is also great for use as a basecoat for airbrushing. It is compatible with acrylic paints, enamels, and lacquers, and can be used on both interior and exterior surfaces.
It is highly recommended to use this primer with Vallejo acrylic paints.
9. Tamiya Gray Fine Surface Primer
1. Tamiya Gray Fine Surface Primer is a good quality primer.
2. It produces a smooth, even surface.
3. The primer dries quickly.
4. It adheres well to the surface.
5. The primer is easy to apply.
Tamiya Gray Fine Surface Primer L is a perfect choice for priming plastic and resin models. The ultra-fine primer creates a smooth surface finish that is ready for painting. Gray Primer dries quickly and is compatible with many types of paints. Use Tamiya Gray Primer to achieve a professional looking finish on your models.
If you’re looking for a good quality primer to use on your plastic models, Tamiya’s Fine Surface Primer is a great option. It sprays on smoothly and dries to a nice, smooth finish. I would definitely recommend this primer to anyone looking for a good foundation to work with on their models.
10. BADGER Stynylrez SNR-216 Airbrush Primer
- BADGER Stynylrez SNR-216 Airbrush Primer is perfect for covering up any mistakes made while airbrushing.
- It dries quickly and leaves a smooth finish.
- BADGER Stynylrez Airbrush Primer is easy to use and can be applied with a brush or airbrush.
- It is non-toxic and can be used on a variety of surfaces.
- It is a great value for the money and can be used for a variety of applications.
Stynylrez Primer is a water based acrylic primer that is specifically designed for airbrush application. It dries quickly to a matte finish and can be overcoated with lacquer, enamel, and acrylic paints. Specially formulated for plastic model kits, it provides a superb foundation for paint to adhere to and results in a durable finish.
Stynylrez Airbrush Primer is an acrylic based, water soluble primer that dries to a matte finish. This primer is designed for use with airbrushes and can be used on any surface. It is non-toxic and safe for use in body art.
This primer is available in a variety of colors and comes in a 2 fl oz (60 ml) bottle.
Buying Guide for best airbrush primer
When it comes to choosing the best airbrush primer, there are a few key factors to consider:
Compatibility with your paint:
It’s important to make sure that the primer you choose is compatible with the type of paint you’ll be using. Some primers are formulated specifically for use with water-based paints, while others work best with oil-based paints. Be sure to check the label or product description to ensure that you’re getting a primer that will work well with your chosen paint.
Type of Surface:
Not all primers are created equal. Some are designed for use on specific types of surfaces, while others can be used on a variety of surfaces. Make sure to choose a primer that is designed for the surface you are priming. For example, if you are priming a piece of wood, you’ll need a primer designed for use on wood. If you are priming a car for paint, you’ll need a primer designed for use on metal.
Different airbrush primers have different drying times. Some dry quickly, while others take longer to set. Consider your project timeline and choose a primer with a drying time that works for you.
Primers with good wetting properties will help the paint adhere to the primer and create a smooth finish.
Do you want a matte finish, a satin finish, or a glossy finish for your project? Different airbrush primers offer different finishes, so be sure to choose one that meets your needs.
Different airbrush primers have different coverage levels. Consider how much surface area you need to cover and choose a primer that will give you the coverage you need.
Airbrush primers can range in price from less than $10 to over $50. Decide on your budget and look for a primer that fits within your price range.
Before making a purchase, be sure to read reviews from other customers. This will give you a good idea of the quality of the product and how well it worked for others.
Both aerosol primers and surface primers work well when used with an airbrush, but they have different advantages and disadvantages that you should be aware of.
An aerosol primer is a type of spray paint that comes in a pressurized can. You shake the can to mix the solvent, open the cap, and hold the nozzle 6-12 inches away from your model to spray. Under ideal conditions (e.g., room temperature or 25 degrees Celsius and low humidity), aerosol primers work great. The Tamiya spray primer is a gold standard for professional miniature painters and scale modelers everywhere.
Aerosol primers are not well-suited to cold weather, as they will not work properly. There are workaround hacks for spraying outdoors in cold weather, but the best practice is to spray indoors with a spray booth or keep the metal can warm while you work.
When applying primer in a warmer climate, it is important to keep relative humidity levels low. This can be done by using an airbrush or hair dryer, depending on the climate.
Aerosol primers can contain volatile solvents and produce harmful fumes that can hurt your lungs if you don’t ventilate the area well. I prefer using an airbrush because it doesn’t produce these fumes, which is safer for me.
An airbrush lets you control the amount of primer you’re spraying, just like an aerosol primer. But with an airbrush, you also have control over the pressure and flow mix. This means that you can adjust how much primer goes on your model exactly how you want it to look.
The best airbrush primer is the one that best suits the user’s needs. Some users prefer a light primer to help avoid sticking, while others may prefer a more heavy-duty primer to help prevent paint from flaking. It is important to find a primer that works well with the airbrush and the user’s painting style.